Juicy chunks of ground beef combined with the salsa of your choice mingle happily with vegetables and melted cheese in this south-of-the-border variation. Set out bowls of crushed nacho chips, shredded lettuce, sour cream and sliced jalapeños for customizing. A thick crust stands up to the many ingredients.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 recipe Cheesy Pizza Dough, below
- Cornmeal (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup thin onion wedges
- 1¼ cups salsa
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups coarsely shredded lettuce
- 1 cup coarsely broken nacho-flavored chips
Prepare Cheesy Pizza Dough. Cover with a slightly damp towel; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. If you like, sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15×10-inch rectangle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; prick dough with a fork. Bake about 12 minutes or until browned.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown, breaking meat into large chunks as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir in salsa.
Spread meat mixture onto hot crust almost to edges. Bake for 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes and olives; sprinkle with cheese. Bake about
10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Before serving, top with lettuce and chips.
Cheesy Pizza Dough
- 2⅓ to 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar