Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts*
- 6 cups 33%-lower-sodium chicken broth, divided*
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped**
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Desired toppers: sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, salsa, sliced jalapeño peppers, sliced green onions or Tortilla Strips (see below)
- Place chicken and 3 cups broth in a 6- to 8-quart pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Using forks, shred chicken; set aside. Strain broth; skim fat from broth and set broth aside.
- Combine bell pepper, red onion, jalapeños, garlic, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt in same pot. Stir in strained broth and remaining 3 cups broth, corn, pinto beans, black beans, hominy, tomatoes and green chiles. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in chicken, ¼ cup cilantro and ¼ cup green onions; heat through.
- Serve soup at the table, family-style, with a lime wedge for each serving. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves. Pass around desired toppers.
- *Vegan option: Substitute 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- **Note: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with jalapeños, wear protective gloves.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.