Gather the family and eat dinner together at the table while you play a game—with electronics off. Research proves that kids who share regular family meals achieve better grades, improve language skills and lower their risks of depression, teen pregnancy, substance abuse, eating disorders and obesity. As a Christian, you showcase your faith through mealtime prayers and encounter Christ-centered teachable moments during meal conversations about the day. Make suppertime fun with easy-to-prepare foods you all can eat while playing games. Look for simple games like tic-tac-toe or invite conversation with trivia questions.
Pizza is the perfect playful food. Set the scene for a night of family sharing by loading a healthful crust with choices of tomatoes, peppers, onions, salad greens, pineapple, meat and cheese.
Load a homemade crust with choices of tomatoes, peppers, onions, salad greens, meat and cheese.
- 1 recipe Garlic and Herb Pizza Dough (see below)
- Assorted pizza toppers
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare Garlic and Herb Pizza Dough (see below).
- Lightly grease a 12-inch pizza pan. Press and lightly stretch dough to edges of pan, forming a half-inch rim around dough edges. Add sauces and toppings as per the pizza variations below. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning.
- All-Time Kid’s Favorite: Thinly spread pizza sauce on dough; top with pepperoni and mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
- BBQ Delight: Spread BBQ sauce on dough; top with shredded barbecued chicken and thin slices of red onion.
- Veggie Dream: Drizzle with olive oil; top with fresh slices of tomato, bell pepper strips and mozzarella or other favorite cheese. Bake, then sprinkle with fresh arugula before serving.
Play “dominoes”—and the winner gets to eat them! (That’s okay. They’re really brownies.)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter
- 3 tbsp water
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boiling. Stirring constantly, boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add chocolate; stir until melted. Cool briefly.
- Stir eggs, one at a time, into chocolate mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir well. Spread batter in prepared baking dish.
- Bake 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack. While brownies cool, prepare Cream Cheese Frosting (see below). Spread or pipe frosting on cooled brownies.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.