Enjoy some of fall's most popular flavors in one delicious dish. Sweet potato, apple and ham slices, cozied up under a thin blanket of spiced maple syrup, bake into a beautiful collage of colors and textures. Slice sweet potatoes and apples consistently thin to ensure even cooking.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound fully cooked ham slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Fresh Italian parsley sprig, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 3-quart casserole. Alternately layer sweet potato, ham and apple slices in dish. Sprinkle with cranberries and dot with butter. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and increase temperature to 400°F.
In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Brush some of syrup mixture on sweet potato layers. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes more or until bubbly, brushing occasionally with remaining syrup mixture. If desired, garnish with parsley sprig.