Homemade Chicken Stock
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (5- to 6-pound) roasting chicken
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, cut up
- 2 medium carrots, unpeeled and cut up
- 2 large onions, unpeeled and chopped
- 2 heads garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Cold water
Place chicken in an 8-quart stockpot. Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, sage, bay leaves, salt and black peppercorns. Fill stockpot with cold water to cover ingredients by 2 inches. Slowly bring water to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
Remove chicken from stockpot; reserve for another use. Strain stock into a large container through a large strainer lined with a double layer of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Discard vegetables, seasonings and chicken bones and skin.
Place stock in an airtight container; refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.