Makes 6 servings
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp red wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 (1-inch-thick) slices French baguette
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in onions. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown. Stir in flour until combined. Add broth, wine (if desired) and bay leaf; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Into six ramekins or oven-safe bowls, ladle soup; place a baguette slice on top of each serving. Sprinkle the tops generously with Gruyère cheese; top each serving with a slice of Swiss cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Note: If you don’t have oven-safe bowls, toast cheese-laden baguette slices on a baking sheet and float them in the bowls of hot soup.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.