Whoopie Pies are an old New England favorite now enjoying a revival all across the country. For this version, whipped topping flavored with fruit gelatin is sandwiched between home-made, cake-soft cookies.
Makes 16 servings
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 tbsp lemon, lime or orange gelatin
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl combine egg yolks, egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add butter and continue to mix well. Add milk and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir well.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of batter into each cup of a nonstick muffin pan. Tap the sides and bottom of pan to get the batter to spread evenly. Bake for 6 minutes. Watch closely as the pies should be only lightly tanned on top when done. Cool before removing from pan.
- To make filling, place whipped topping in a bowl and add gelatin. Stir to combine, making sure granules have absorbed. Place in a sealed container and put into freezer until ready to use.
- Assemble pies by matching two cookies together, one for the top and one for the bottom. Spread 2 teaspoons of whipped filling on bottom cookie and add top cookie. Lightly press together. Store in freezer until ready to serve. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.