Makes 10 servings
- 1 recipe Cookie-Coconut Crumb Crust, below
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, plus toasted coconut chips for garnish
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract, divided
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare and bake Cookie-Coconut Crumb Crust as directed; set aside.
- Separate egg yolks from whites; set aside egg whites for meringue.
- In a medium saucepan, combine ¾ cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat egg yolks with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Pour egg yolk mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan. Return to heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup flaked coconut, butter and 1½ teaspoons vanilla. Keep filling warm.
- For meringue, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high about 5 minutes or until meringue forms stiff, glossy peaks (tips stand straight).
- Pour warm filling into baked crust. Immediately spread meringue over warm filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours. Before serving, garnish with toasted coconut chips, if desired.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.