Alternating the type and color of apples, carefully place thin slices on a classic tart-style crust lined with an almond paste filling. For a showstopping dessert, glaze the apples with apricot preserves.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg white
- ½ (8-ounce) package almond paste
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large baking apples (such as Granny Smith, Gala and/or Jonathan), cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apricot preserves
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- For crust, in a large bowl, whisk together flour and sugar. Add cold butter. Using fingertips and thumbs, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Using a fork, stir beaten egg into flour mixture. Sprinkle with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with the fork until all of the flour mixture is moistened and pastry begins to come together. Gather pastry and gently press together to form a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 13-inch circle. Fold pastry circle into fourths; transfer to a 9½-inch round tart pan with removable bottom. Unfold and ease pastry into tart pan without stretching. Trim edges. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake pastry for 12 minutes. Whisk egg white until frothy. Remove crust from oven; prick several times with fork to reduce puffing. Brush entire surface with some of the beaten egg white; reserve remaining egg white. Bake crust for 10 minutes more. Slightly cool in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place almond paste, granulated sugar, softened butter, flour, vanilla, almond extract and egg yolk in a food processor. Cover; process until smooth and creamy. Spread filling evenly in warm crust.
- Arrange apple slices in a decorative pattern on top of filling. Brush apples with reserved beaten egg white. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until apples are tender.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave preserves on HIGH for 10 to 20 seconds or until melted when stirred. Brush preserves on apples. Cool tart completely in pan on wire rack.
- To serve, remove side from tart pan. Lightly sprinkle tart with powdered sugar, if desired.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.