Easy-Cook Grain Guide
From familiar nutty brown rice to less well-known, smoky-flavor freekeh, whole grains are simple to cook and high in nutritional value. Grains are the cornerstone to many delicious, healthful meals.
HOW TO COOK GRAINS
- Rinse: If fluffier grains are desired, place the grains in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain well.
- Cook: Check the chart, below, for how much liquid to use with 1 cup grain. Combine the grains and liquid in a heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the grains are tender.
- Rest: Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the grains stand, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes. If necessary, drain off any excess liquid.
- Fluff: Use a fork to fluff the grains before serving.
Use this helpful guide to cook your favorite grains. Follow the
directions, below. Times may vary slightly, depending on the age of
the grain, variety and pan size.
- 3 cups water per 1 cup barley
- Simmer 45 to 55 minutes. Yields 3 cups.
- 2 cups water per 1 cup bulgur.
- Simmer 15 minutes. Yields 3 cups.
- 3 cups water per 1 cup farro.
- Simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Yields 2½ cups.
- 2½ cups water per 1 cup freekeh.
- Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Yields 3 cups.
- 2½ cups water per 1 cup millet.
- Simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Yields 4 cups.
- 2 cups water per 1 cup quinoa.*
- Simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Yields 3 cups.
- 4 cups water per 1 cup wheat berries.
- Simmer 45 to 60 minutes. Yields 2½ cups.
*Rinse before cooking to eliminate bitter taste.
- 2 ½ cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk, plus additional for garnish
- 1 ½ cups chai tea latte concentrate
- 1 ¼ cups Sunrise Flour Mill organic 7-grain cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
- Red apple slices, for garnish
- Toasted walnuts, for garnish
- 7⁄10 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 ½ cups pitted green and/or ripe olives, sliced
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 baby cucumber, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup slivered red onion
- Fresh oregano sprigs, for garnish
- 4 cups vegetable cooking stock
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup each freekeh, bulgur and farro
- ½ cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- ½ cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- ¾ cup lightly packed baby spinach, stems removed
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
© Grey Dog Media, LLC 2023. All Rights Reserved.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.