Quick-cooking barley makes this classic salad heart healthy.
Makes 4 servings
- 7⁄10 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 ½ cups pitted green and/or ripe olives, sliced
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 baby cucumber, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup slivered red onion
- Fresh oregano sprigs, for garnish
- For dressing, in a bowl whisk together vinegar, olive oil, honey, mustard and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- For salad, cook barley in 1 cup salted water according to package directions. Drain, if necessary. Toss with 2 tablespoons salad dressing; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound to an even thickness. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour ¹⁄₃ cup dressing over chicken in bag; seal bag. Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Lightly pat chicken dry with paper towels. Heat canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low. Cook for 10 to 14 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F, turning occasionally. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cool.
- In a large bowl toss together salad greens, tomatoes, olives and cucumber slices.
- To serve, slice chicken. Divide salad greens mixture among 4 serving plates. Top with barley mixture, chicken, feta cheese and red onion. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.