You can almost taste the sun in this summer hors d'oeuvre.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 zucchini (medium), sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch slices
- 2 yellow summer squash (medium), sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, stemmed
- 2/3 cup basil leaves
Discard the outermost slices (top and bottom) of the zucchini and yellow squash. Brush slices with olive oil on both sides. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side, or until tender.
In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese and lemon juice, mashing with a fork.
Remove zucchini and yellow squash from grill. Spoon ½ teaspoon of the goat cheese mixture ½ inch from one end of a zucchini or yellow squash slice. Top with a few spinach leaves and 1 small basil leaf. Roll up and place seam-side down to set their shape. Repeat with the rest of the slices.