Arrange baby Romaine and arugula leaves on a platter, topped with sliced red pears, thinly sliced fennel and crumbled goat cheese. Toast chopped walnuts in a skillet and toss onto greens. Drizzle on a white balsamic vinaigrette dressing to complete a salad that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups arugula/baby romaine lettuce mixture
- 2 ripe red pears, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
Combine fennel, 1 teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
For dressing, whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, walnut oil, garlic, oregano, brown sugar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a skillet, heat walnuts over medium heat about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring constantly.
In a large bowl or on a platter, arrange arugula mixture, pears, fennel, goat cheese and walnuts. Serve with dressing.