This recipe was developed with just the right amount of fat needed to brown the exterior to a beautiful golden color. Dress these gems up inside and outside. Pour the batter into the waffle maker and sprinkle in a few berries, chopped nuts or finely minced fresh herbs. Or, top them with a choice of ingredients: crème fraîche or Greek yogurt and berries, ham and egg or peanut butter, bananas and chopped peanuts.
The Best Waffles
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 tbsps malted milk powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt2
- 2 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Place a wire rack in a large rimmed pan; set aside.
- Separate eggs, placing yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, malted milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- Whisk buttermilk and vanilla into egg yolks until well combined; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Spray grids of a Belgian waffle or regular maker with cooking spray; wipe off any excess. Preheat waffle maker to medium-high heat.
- Pour batter into waffle maker until almost full. Close lid and bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden. (Do not open lid until done.)
- When done, use a fork to lift waffles off of grids. Transfer to wire rack in rimmed pan and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying grids with cooking spray between batches.
- Serve waffles with desired waffle toppings.
Strawberry-Balsamic a la Mode: In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar. Add 8 ounces sliced fresh strawberries; toss until coated. Let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours. Top each waffle with some of the strawberry mixture and a small scoop of vanilla-bean frozen yogurt. Drizzle with balsamic-berry juices and, if desired, garnish with mint. Makes 1 cup strawberry topping.
Peanut Butter-Banana: Spread each waffle with creamy peanut butter and top with banana slices. Drizzle with warmed chocolate ice cream topping and sprinkle chopped peanuts.
Spiced Cranberry Chutney and Citrus: Spread each waffle with cranberry chutney or preserves and top with sliced mandarins and raspberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and add a spoonful of crème fraîche.
Fried Egg with Prosciutto: Top each waffle with a sunny-side-up fried egg and thin slices of fried prosciutto. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired.
Blueberries with Lemon-Curd Mascarpone (not pictured): In a small mixing bowl beat ½ cup mascarpone cheese with an electric mixer on medium until softened. Add 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 teaspoon powdered sugar. Continue beating until well combined. Fold in ½ cup lemon curd. Top each waffle with a spoonful of the lemon-mascarpone topping and fresh blueberries. Makes 1¼ cups topping.
Grilled Pineapple and Caramel (not pictured): Spray a cold grill pan with nonstick spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add fresh pineapple slices and cook on both sides until slightly charred. Halve the pineapple slices and toss with warmed caramel ice-cream topping. Top each waffle with caramel-coated pineapple and coconut chips.