Double-crust pastry, a pound of Swiss chard and a creamy mix of eggs, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and herbs place this quiche squarely in the hearty category.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound fresh chard or spinach, stems and ribs removed*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ⅛ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large saucepan cook chard in enough water to cover just until wilted. Drain well, squeezing out excess liquid. Pat dry with paper towels. Chop chard; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute. Add chard; cook about 5 minutes or until excess liquid evaporates. Transfer chard mixture to a large bowl and cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, eggs, salt, thyme, oregano, pepper, rosemary and nutmeg.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold one pastry sheet; roll into a 14-inch square. Fit pastry into a 9-inch quiche pan with removable bottom. Trim pastry, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fill pastry with chard mixture. Roll out second pastry sheet into a 10-inch circle. Moisten overhanging edge with warm water. Place second pastry on top of the filling; seal and tuck under the edge. Use a sharp knife to cut slits in pastry top for vents.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove pan sides and transfer quiche to a platter. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- *Note: Nearly identical in flavor, texture and nutrients, Swiss chard and spinach may be used interchangeably in this recipe. For best texture, remove stems and ribs from the leafy greens before cooking; after cooking, squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.