Peter Rabbit would surely select this fresh-picked bounty of color and good nutrition as his favorite and so will your children. Fill a platter with tender and mild mâche salad greens, French green beans, snow peas, cauliflower, broccoli, multi-color carrots, green onions, button mushrooms and radishes. Firm vegetables are blanched by plunging them into an ice bath to make them fork tender. Serve with the pleasantly tart Lemon-Thyme Vinaigrette on the side so any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for another meal. Serve salad with hard-boiled eggs and top with goat or feta cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
- LEMON-THYME VINAIGRETTE:
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh French green beans
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 cups fresh white cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups fresh green cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package mâche rosettes
- 6 red radishes
- 5 medium rainbow carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 green onions, trimmed
- 6 hardboiled eggs
For vinaigrette, in a small bowl whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, tarragon, thyme, mustard and garlic. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, combine water and salt; bring to a boil. Separately blanch green beans, peas, cauliflower and broccoli for 1 minute each or until vegetables are slightly softened but still firm in the center. Transfer vegetables to a bowl of ice water and cool thoroughly; drain.
Arrange mâche, blanched vegetables, radishes, carrots and onions on a large platter. Place unpeeled eggs in a serving bowl, providing individual small saucers for discarded shells. (Or, peel, slice and arrange eggs over salad.) Serve salad with Lemon-Thyme Vinaigrette.