Makes 16 servings
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ½ cup milk
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- BASIL GLAZE
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 1-pound loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with shortening; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter on medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Alternately fold flour mixture and milk into butter mixture until well combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen edges of bread from pan; remove from pan. Cool completely on rack.
- For glaze, in a small sauce pan bring water and sugar to boiling. Remove from heat and add basil leaves; cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard basil. Add lemon juice; whisk in enough powdered sugar for desired pouring consistency.
- Pour glaze over bread; garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.