Makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ pound ground beef
- ¼ pound Italian sausage
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 12 oz dried penne or mostaccioli
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add ground beef and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is brown. In a food processor or blender, puree whole peeled tomatoes; add to meat in skillet. Add diced tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan or Dutch oven according to package directions until tender but firm to the bite; drain. Return pasta to saucepan. Add meat sauce, mozzarella chunks and Parmesan cheese. Transfer pasta mixture to 6 greased 16-ounce individual baking dishes (or one greased 13×9×2-inch baking dish). Top with shredded mozzarella. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.