Multigrain & Veggie Sandwich
Build hearty sandwiches full of flavor and crisp texture on half-inch slices of fresh homemade multigrain bread.
Rich garlic and herb cheese spread, savory pesto and creamy avocado stack up with peppery watercress and crunchy Bibb lettuce for this green combo.
Multigrain and Veggie Sandwich
Build hearty sandwiches full of flavor and crisp texture on half-inch slices of fresh homemade Multigrain Bread.
- 4 (½-inch) slices Multigrain Bread (see below)
- ¼ cup garlic-and-fine herbs cheese spread
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- ⅔ cup watercress
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 small head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves
- Spread 2 slices of bread with cheese spread. Spread the remaining 2 slices of bread with pesto.
- To assemble sandwiches, arrange watercress on cheese-spread slices. Place avocado slices and lettuce, then top with remaining bread slices, pesto sides down. Cut sandwiches in half to serve.
Homemade multigrain bread is delicious fresh from the oven or for sandwiches.
- 1 ¾ to 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- ¾ cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 ½ tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, divided
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rye flour
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tbsp toasted wheat germ
- 1 ½ tsp each chia seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup all-purpose flour and yeast; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, honey, butter and salt just until warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter is melted. Add to flour mixture in bowl. Add 1 egg. Beat with an electric mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat and rye flours, oats and wheat germ. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 minutes). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a large, lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet. Shape dough into a 4½-inch-round loaf. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until nearly double (30 to 45 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl combine seeds. In a separate bowl beat remaining egg with water.
- Brush top of loaf with egg mixture. Sprinkle with seed mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
© Grey Dog Media, LLC 2023. All Rights Reserved.
We want to keep in touch.
Don’t miss out on the latest Life:Beautiful updates, promotions and news.