Makes 6 servings
- 1/3 of the recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (see recipe below)
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup broccoli florets
- ¼ medium onion, cut into thin wedges and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, cut into wedges and halved
Prepare the Whole Wheat Pizza Crust and let it rise while preparing the sauce and toppings.
For sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook 2 minutes or until pale golden, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, garlic, salt and cayenne. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in ¼ cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan until sauce is smooth and cheese is melted.
In a 9-inch cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, broccoli, onion and garlic; cook until tender. Add tomato; cook 1 minute longer. Remove vegetables.
Roll out and cook dough in skillet as directed in Whole Wheat Pizza Crust recipe. Spread sauce over crust; top with sautéed vegetables and remaining cheese. Tent with foil until cheese is melted.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Makes 3 crusts
- 1½ cups warm water (105° to 115°F)
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1½ packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- Vegetable oil for brushing
In a large bowl combine water and sugar; sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear. Stir in oil and salt. Stir in flours until combined. Knead on a lightly floured surface about 3 minutes or until dough is smooth. Cover; let rise for 10 to 60 minutes.
Divide dough into three portions. Roll out each portion to an 8-inch diameter circle. Preheat a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Brush dough with oil and place oil-side down in hot skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Brush upper side with oil; with pancake turner, flip crust. Turn burner off. Add toppings according to recipe and tent with foil until cheese is melted.