Purchased smoked salmon served with cream cheese on a French baguette is the star of this elegant watercress and citrus salad that takes minutes to prepare and serve. Three different types of oranges—navel, Cara Cara and blood—and grapefruit and extra virgin olive oil add zesty, clean notes to the pungent red onion and peppery watercress.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/3 cups watercress
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced diagonally
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 naval orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 Cara Cara orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sectioned
- 8 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 inches bakery baguette
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill sprigs
Divide watercress, red onion, cucumber, grapefruit and oranges among four plates. Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil over each salad.
Diagonally slice baguette into four 1½-inch pieces. Cut each slice of bread in half lengthwise. Spread about ½ tablespoon cream cheese onto each piece of bread. Divide salmon evenly among the eight pieces of bread. Place two pieces of salmon-topped bread on each plate. Season salads to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with dill.