Makes 6 servings (1 slice each)
- ⅓ of the recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (recipe below)
- ½ cup Tomato Pizza Sauce (recipe below)
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 ounce pepperoni slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Prepare Whole Wheat Pizza Crust and let it rise while preparing the toppings.
Roll out and cook dough as directed in Whole Wheat Pizza Crust recipe, below. Spread Tomato Pizza Sauce (recipe here) on crust. Add sausage, pepperoni and mozzarella. Tent with foil until cheese is melted.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Makes 3 crusts
- 1½ cups warm water (105° to 115°F)
- ¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1½ packages active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- Vegetable oil for brushing
In a large bowl combine water and sugar; sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear. Stir in oil and salt. Stir in flours until combined. Knead on a lightly floured surface about 3 minutes or until dough is smooth. Cover; let rise for 10 to 60 minutes.
Divide dough into three portions. Roll out each portion to an 8-inch diameter circle. Preheat a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Brush dough with oil and place oil-side down in hot skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Brush upper side with oil; with pancake turner, flip crust. Turn burner off. Add toppings according to recipe and tent with foil until cheese is melted.