Makes 8 servings
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup milk, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- Coarse sugar and/or sifted powdered sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add coconut oil and cut into flour mixture with a fork until thoroughly mixed.
In a small bowl, stir together applesauce, milk and vinegar. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in blueberries.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line sheet with parchment paper. Turn out dough onto center of prepared cookie sheet and shape into a 6-inch circle with the back of a spoon. Cut into eight wedges with a sharp knife. Separate wedges, allowing at least 1 inch between them.
Lightly brush dough with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. If desired, lightly dust with powdered sugar.