With a few healthy twists among its ingredients, this dessert will surprise your family. Avocado, dates and coconut milk blend with chocolate, coffee and vanilla, forming a mousse with a mild chocolate taste.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 4 whole dates, pitted
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Unsweetened coconut flakes, for garnish
For mousse, place avocado, dates, and 1 cup coconut milk in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth and creamy. Add melted chocolate, 1½ teaspoons vanilla, espresso powder and salt. Cover and process until well combined; stop and scrape sides of bowl, if necessary.
Transfer mixture to a small mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spoon mousse mixture into dessert dishes.*
For coconut cream, drain and discard water from chilled can of coconut milk. Place remaining milk in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high until milk is thickened. Spoon mixture over mousse desserts. If desired, garnish with coconut flakes.
*Note: For firmer mousse, cover and chill desserts for 4 to 6 hours or up to 2 days. Top with coconut cream and garnish as directed.