For a delicious riff on breakfast for dinner, top a bed of frisée greens with sunny-side up eggs. Fry the eggs in a little butter for crispy, flavorful undersides. Lay the eggs over tender asparagus, sweet bell peppers, green onions, smoky bacon and toasted breadcrumbs.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 small head frisée
- 1 mini orange bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 mini red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced green onions, white portion only
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled (¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons toasted bread crumbs
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan, to taste
Half-fill a large skillet with water; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; add asparagus and cook for 1 to 1½ minutes or until slightly softened but still firm in the center. With tongs, immediately transfer to a pan of ice water to cool thoroughly; drain.
Place layer of frisée on serving platter. Sprinkle with bell pepper slices and green onions. Lay asparagus in center of dish.
In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add eggs; cover and cook without turning for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg is cooked and yolk is still runny. Place eggs over asparagus. Sprinkle with bacon, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and Parmesan.