Couscous, a kid-friendly grain, serves as this salad's base. Sliced citrus, such as grapefruit, navel oranges and clementines, provide sweet and tangy counterpoints to peppery arugula.
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 4 seasonal citrus fruit (grapefruit, navel oranges, Cara Cara oranges or clementines)
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Place water in a small saucepan; bring to boiling. Add couscous. Remove saucepan from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
For dressing, combine olive oil and vinegar; set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut peel from citrus fruit, making sure to remove the white pith. Slice and section fruit; set aside. Cut mozzarella cheese into ¼-inch slices; tear slices into bite-size pieces.
Toss together arugula, basil, citrus fruit and cheese. Spread couscous in bottom of a large serving bowl. Top with arugula mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.